Sunday, May 14, 2017

Dear Finn

Dear Finn,

Happy Mother's Day! It's fitting that we're celebrating your one month birthday today because you are the one that made me a mom and for that, I'm forever grateful.  I have dreamed about being a mom my entire life and you are the one that made that dream come true. Thank you.

I'm sitting here as you are napping in your swing watching you with tears filling my eyes thinking about the past month.  One whole month.  Everyone said it would go by in the blink of an eye and it's true. I can't believe it's already been a month.  We've watched you grow physically as your newborn clothes get tighter and developmentally as you achieve milestones.  Your dad and I are amazed at how entertained we are by you, despite the fact that you really don't do much.  We love you more than you could know.

While everyone said it would go by in the blink of an eye, it hasn't all been fun and games, but each trying moment taught me a lesson that I needed to learn.  I learned about sacrifice when we had to spent a few extra days in the hospital.  All I wanted to do was go home, but I knew that the best place for you to be was in the hospital, so we stayed.  This past week, you tested your dad and my patience as you cried for four hours straight.  Nothing seemed to calm you except nursing, so we nursed.  A lot. You finally fell asleep and your dad and I let out a big exhale. While learning these lessons hasn't been fun, I'm grateful because you are making me (and your dad) a better person and parent.

You are the first born so be patient with your dad and I.  I'll let you in on a little secret.  We don't really know what we're doing.  Everything we do with you, we're doing for the first time. We'll probably be a little more protective and a little less laid back than if you were the second or third child, but just know it's only because we love you so much. You are so loved, Finnegan Michael.  You changed our lives for the better the day you were born and we can't wait to continue on this adventure with you.

Happy Mother's Day sweet boy.

Love,
Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment