Thursday, July 23, 2015

Apartment update

If you would like to subscribe to this blog via email, please enter your email address in the box to the right of this blog post.  This will ensure that you never miss a post!

Just popping in to let you know that we're surviving the move! I've climbed Mount Everest in the bed room, K2 in the kitchen and the smaller, yet still challenging Appalachian Mountains of stuff in the future guest bedrooms and living room.  We actually have some semblance of a home going on, although there is a long way to go in the decorating department.  Hopefully, this weekend, we'll be able to finish unpacking and organizing and get a good start on decorating.  

Our biggest issues are not with the furniture, but with the apartment itself.  The landlord came by earlier this week.  She took one look at the oven and said that it was not hers.  A former tenant (we'll never know who) bought that oven themselves and then left it there.  So, she's not responsible for helping us figure out what is wrong with it.  Our next move is to find the cappacu (the building super) and see if maybe he can fix it.  We're hoping that it's just a bulb that is out or a loose wire, not something major that would require a new oven.  

In the meantime, we (and by we I mean me) have been using the Crockpot like it's our job.  Between the Crockpot and the skillet, I've discovered a lot of new recipes.  If you have any recommendations for meals that can be made sans oven, send them my way! Although, keep in mind I live with Mr. No-fruits-or-vegetables, so that adds an extra challenge, but I'm sure you're up to it. 

That being said, you better believe I'm going to make a cake, cookies, brownies and multiple casseroles when we get a working oven.  All for one meal.

The other major issue that we're having is the power.  At night, when we are both home doing things, we seem to lose power due to power surges every half hour or so.  Last night, it was every fifteen minutes. Granted, we were running both AC units, the washer and dryer and the lights in our living room, but who needs energy conservation, right? (just kidding just kidding!) When we called the landlord about this one, she said we can't really do that in Turkey.  You have to just pick and choose what you want to run.  JOY!  So, when you come, don't expect anything fancy like air conditioning or electricity.  I can't make any promises. 

Besides that, we're great hosts. 

Okay, I think I've bored you enough.  I promise the next blog post will be a little more exciting. Maybe some pictures of the new crib?  Guess you'll have to check back and see.....

While you're anxiously awaiting my next post, you should go check out my sister-in-law's (still so weird to say!) blog about her adventures in London.

LYLAS (because I'm channeling my inner 13 year old).

No comments:

Post a Comment