Sunday, December 16, 2012

Newtown, CT

I am still in shock over what happened on Friday.   I can't help but feel overwhelmed with grief as I think about the presents under the Christmas tree or the students backpacks, both of which now have no owners.  I am brought to tears every time I read the news because I can't help but think about my students. I was with my former first graders and middle schoolers on Friday and I hugged them a little longer and harder as news broke out about the shootings in Newtown.

 It's so unfair that complete mayhem broke out in a school, where students are allowed to feel safe and comfortable.  So many students are glad to come to school because it's the one place they do feel safe.  Often times, their homes and surrounding neighborhoods are filled with violence and school provides a safe haven.

If kids can't feel safe at school, where can they?

No comments:

Post a Comment