Sunday, November 25, 2012

thankful

Every year at Thanksgiving dinner, my family goes around and says one thing we're thankful for.  It's always a huge challenge to come up with one single thing.  How do I come up with the one thing I'm most thankful for? I don't.  I came up with twelve things that I'm especially thankful for this year.  Some are the same from year to year, but there are a few that are new editions to the list...

1. My parents.  I couldn't make it without their love and support.  They mean the world to me.  I cannot express how thankful I am for them. 
2. Andrew and Ben- They're turning out to be amazing men and I am so glad to have them as my brothers.  They make me a better sister and a better person.  I am so proud of the men they are becoming and I know they are going to do great things (and already have).  They are a constant source of inspiration and motivation, especially when serving my male students.
3. Anna - I wouldn't have survived JMU without her.  She knows how to be girly and excited with me over stuff, but she also keeps me grounded and brings me back to reality when I need it.  She's best friend.  
4. Karen- When she moved into our apartment senior year, I wasn't sure what to expect, but she turned out to be one of my best friends.  She can make me laugh whenever I need her to and whenever I have a crazy story, she's the one I go to. 
5. Mike-  He makes me super happy and I kind of like him :)
6.  My education-  Over the past year and a half, I've realized how lucky I am to have received such a great public education.  I've seen the disparities between urban and suburban education.  It's so unfair and definitely something I want to help make a difference in.
7. JMU- Everyone says that college is the best four years of your life and I can definitely say that's true for me.  It was a life changing experience and probably the best decision I have ever made.
8.  City Year Boston-  If college is the best four years of your life, then City Year was the best single year of my life. That experience helped me grow as an educator, a friend, and a person.  
9. Holly Moulton- I served in her classroom last year and I learned so much from her.  She was an incredible mentor and an amazing teacher.  I couldn't have asked for a better partner teacher last year. 
10.  My twenty first graders-  They were seven, but they served as a constant source of joy and inspiration last year (and this year). I am so proud of the progress that they all made last year.  They are some of the funniest, cutest, and toughest kids I know and they deserve everything possible.  
11.  Jadanies, Jahnelle, and Michael-  My three middle school course coaching students.  At the beginning of the year, I was super intimidated by middle schoolers, but they made (almost) every afternoon the best part of the day. I learned to love and embrace sass and attitude. I taught them math and ELA, but they taught me so much more.  
12.  The fact that I have a job, a roof over my head, and food in my belly.  It's something my students worry about everyday and I'm glad I don't have to worry about it. Ever. 

“We must find time to stop and thank the people who make a difference in our lives.” ― John F. Kennedy

No comments:

Post a Comment