Wednesday, October 3, 2012

just like old times

Adrienne went to Vegas for the weekend and ended up coming back yesterday, so it was just me, Quinci and Joe. Just like old times.  Apparently, Adrienne had this trip planned before she decided to come here and was only planning on being gone for the weekend.  She "accidentally" missed her flight on Sunday and didn't come back until late last night.

As much as I love Quinci and Joe, I missed her this weekend.  The Ryder Cup was on, so Joe and Quinci spent most of the weekend watching that. It made me miss her even more.  I went to the beach on Saturday afternoon, after spending all morning at the Apple store with Joe  trying to get him a new phone. Sunday was definitely a lazy Sunday with some rain and thunderstorms.  Needless to say, I was glad to have Adrienne back.

School has been going well. Monday we were in the computer lab, which just meant craziness.  I've realized whenever you take the kids out of the "natural habitat," they just ask ridiculous. It's so stressful when they're like this, but it's also hilarious because it's comical to watch them and listen to their conversations.  For example, I was trying to get a girl to do her work and this is the conversation that ensued....

Me: Come on, Lavetra, why haven't you started?  Everyone else is already done with the first question and you haven't even headed your paper!
L: Ms. Russo, I can't do anything today. I'm heartbroken.
(I just stare at her)
L: I got dumped. Normally, I'm the one doing the dumping!

Welcome to ninth grade where you're love life dictates every part of your day. Even after you've been dumped.

The other exciting thing that happened today was that we got our focus lists! So exciting.  A focus list is a list of students in our classes that we're going to be working with one on one or in a small group doing English interventions.  We're going to be working on Fluency, Comprehension, and Vocabulary in hopes to get them up to grade level by the end of the year. I'm really excited to branch off from whole class support and start doing actual interventions.

The last exciting thing that has happened (it's been an exciting couple of days) is that I've found some stuff to do outside of work. I was starting to get really bored on the weekends and evenings.  A few of the corps members have been going to yoga classes almost every day and I think Adrienne and I are going to start going next week. I've never done yoga and always kind of judged people who did it (go ahead and make a face at me, I know), but here I am going to yoga.  Who knows? Maybe I'll like it. I've also been looking into some places to go riding, even if it's only once a week. I need to call a few places and see what it's like, but riding is the one thing I miss most when I'm not in Virginia and I would LOVE to be able to do it here.  So more to come on that, but things are looking good!

Alright, I'm off to watch the presidential debates and head to bed.  Hope everyone is having a great week!

“Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” – Barack Obama

No comments:

Post a Comment